Saturday, November 7, 2009

Introduction to my OSA experience

I shall start the chronicles from the moment I realize I was snoring.

Many years ago before I met my present wife, the children of my friend with whom we were travelling in a group had no choice but to move out of the room I and my family were sleeping in because I was snoring. That was when I first realized I was snoring.

My wife also noticed me that I was starting to snore and told me so. In fact, for all future travelling arrangements which involve people outside the family, she suggested that I say alone by myself so that I do not disrupt others.

I thought snoring was a small matter and left it as it is as it did not affect me that much. The problem is, it developed into apnea and in more recent times it affected me in my blood pressure, wakefulness, memory, blood sugar, etc.

I had been for a sleep test at SJMC (now Sime Darby Medical Centre) a few years ago and done MRI scans. Operation was not recommended and the option was to use a CPAP machine. I seeked a second opinion with a professor doctor in MU but again, nothing permanent is recommended except for the CPAP machine.

The problem with a CPAP machine is that it is bulky and needs a power supply. It is also very intrusive because it hampers my movements. I don't know what happened but I gave up the idea and life goes on.

Eventually, through networking, I met a friend called Kok Lee Wah and she told me she had an operation done and it was good for her. I doubted, saying that maybe it works for her but probably not for me. She commented: "Don't judge till you have seen him".

In the course of a few weeks I asked for his number, called him and after consulting him, realized how much of my life has been wasted and how much problems I could have averted if I had seen him earlier.

No comments: